If you’re into gaming, you need to have a dedicated motherboard. And when I say a dedicated motherboard, I meant a dedicated gaming motherboard. What is the difference between your ordinary motherboard and a gaming motherboard? Well, gaming motherboards have more RAM slots, higher-grade components than the conventional motherboard, and different motherboard manufacturers put their own unique spin on it.
Today, we’re going to look at one of MSI’s gaming motherboard, the Z170A Gaming M7. MSI is not new to this business, in fact, they’ve created a lot of gaming motherboards in the past couple of years.
For those of you who don’t know, if you plan to buy the newest Intel Core processors, also called as Skylake processors, you would need a motherboard with a Z170 chipset. That being said, what separates the MSI Z170 Gaming M7 motherboard from the rest?
To answer that, let’s look at its features:
- Supports 6th Gen Intel® Core™ / Pentium® / Celeron® processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports DDR4-3600+(OC) Memory
- DDR4 Boost: Give your DDR4 memory a performance boost
- USB 3.1 Gen2 2X FASTER: USB 3.1 Gen2 offers performance twice as fast as a regular USB 3.0 connection
- Twin Turbo M.2 64Gb/s + Turbo U.2 ready + USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C + Type-A combo + SATA 6Gb/s
- GAMING LAN with LAN Protect, powered by Killer™: The best online gaming experience with lowest latency
- Audio Boost 3: Reward your ears with studio grade sound quality
- Nahimic Audio Enhancer: Immersive sound quality that pushes the limits of reality
- Game Boost: This one goes up to eleven; 1-seconds of easy overclocking
- GAMING Hotkey: Assign macros, launch your favorite games or do real-time overclocking using a single button
- Designed for overclocking: with OC Essentials and OC Engine 2
- XSplit Gamecaster v2: 1 year free premium license to show off your skills and achievements to the world
- SteelSeries Certified: Optimized for SteelSeries gaming gear
- Military Class 5: The latest evolution in high quality components featuring the brand new Titanium Chokes
- MULTI-GPU with Steel Armor: Steel Armor PCI-E slots. Supports NVIDIA SLI™ & AMD Crossfire™
- Click BIOS 5: Award-winning brand new Click BIOS 5 with high resolution scalable font
- BIOS Flashback+: Easy BIOS recovery without the need of a CPU, memory and VGA card
- GAMING CERTIFIED: 24-hour on- and offline game testing by eSports players for the best gaming experience
That is an impressive feature list, and I am not surprised why this motherboard is one of the most recommended gaming motherboards today. It provides a lot of room for overclocking, which makes this an enthusiast gaming motherboard.
That being said, what do people have to say about this powerful gaming motherboard?
Hapkiman: “This is a very high quality board! It looks and feels very well made and sturdy. I’m very pleased with purchase. Yes it’s just a tad on the expensive side, but there are cheaper Z170 boards if that’s what you want. I have a i7 6700k CPU on this board and 2 x 8GB sticks of 3000MHz Corsair DDR4 RAM. So far I have not had any problems. Runs great, and updating the BIOS to latest version was painless from MSI’s website.
Very nice feature set on this board, so I will be able to add a NVMe M.2 drive and run it at blazing speeds. Always had good luck with MSI products in the past, and this is no exception. 5 stars! Oh and it looks sweet.”
Dragnet: “I replaced a Gigabyte mobo with this MSI M7. I am extremely happy, best mobo I have ever owned.
I would highly recommend it 100% absolutely.”
The MSI Z170a Gaming M7 Gaming motherboard is a superb gaming motherboard with the looks and features to back up its already established reputation. This gaming motherboard is a little bit pricey at $205. But, if you want to have a Skylake processor and a motherboard that has all the Overclocking features you need, the MSI Z170A Gaming M7 Gaming Motherboard is one of the best.